July 7, 2014

Breastfeeding

If you don't want to read about boobs and lactation, then stop reading now. 

I want to share my breastfeeding story to encourage other mommas who may be having a difficult time, because I can attest that it is not an easy feat. 

Brendan and I took the breastfeeding class that our hospital had to offer before our baby was born. It was great! So much helpful information.  I felt prepared to nurse my newborn after that class. Oh how I had no idea what I was getting into. 

After Futch was born I couldn't get him to latch very well at the hospital and we met with the lactation consultants several times. They are incredibly helpful and knowledgable. They reminded me of everything I had learned my class and had forgotten about. How to hold the baby, make sure he's plenty awake, wearing only a diaper, etc. It seemed like things were going okay, other than horrible sore, cracked, bleeding nipples... but I just figured that's how it was supposed to be at first. 

Two days after we got home from the hospital I went through engorgement. They warned me that I could feel like I had the flu for 24 hours and that was completely normal. So I attributed my lethargy, fever, loss of appetite, and aches to engorgement. Then Brendan noticed I had a bright red triangle spot on my boob. I immediately began crying (again) and called my doctor and he confirmed that I had mastitis and that people don't normally get it this early. Yay me. Mastitis is like a staff infection in the boob. Incredibly painful and stressful on it's own, but add in the fact that I was still learning how to breastfeed and trying to take care of a less than 1 week old baby. 

At this point Futcher was nursing every hour and every single time I was in tears and bleeding and leaking everywhere. It was physically and emotionally one of the worst things I have ever experienced. Futch was crying and having a horrible time trying to eat. I was crying because I felt inadequate. My innocent little baby relied on ME to feed him and it was excruciating. I was ready to give up. I gave myself little goals like, just breastfeed until he's 2 weeks old, then you can quit. 

It took the mastitis a couple of weeks to go away because it was in both breasts. Even after the infection, we were still having trouble latching. A chunk of my nipple had been gnawed off. Literally. It took a couple of months to heal and during that whole time we just powered through (with a lot of nipple cream).  Each nursing session was around 20 minutes and involved tons of towels and leaking and watching a lot of Netflix while Futcher nursed. Now he nurses for about 5 minutes and he's done!

Brendan was incredibly helpful and supportive during all of this. We traveled around Christmas when the baby was only 6 weeks old and we still didn't have a handle on breastfeeding. Brendan made sure that I always had a comfortable place to nurse. He was so understanding of how hard it was for me throughout all of it. 

I didn't feel like I had breastfeeding down until around 2 months. It finally became less painful and more bearable. I struggled some with my supply which was probably due to immense stress from everything we had gone through. Now, at 8 months things are going great. I am so so thankful that we powered through and are continuing to breastfeed. Futcher doesn't love taking a bottle and won't drink more than 3oz from it so I'm sure weaning him will be an adventure, but we aren't planning on that quite yet. 

So moms: You CAN do it. Breastfeeding is hard work. But you are a mom. You carried and labored that baby. You are strong and you can do this. Speak to a lactation consultant. Find a breastfeeding group. Don't give up!

And dads: Go to the breastfeeding class. Keep encouraging your wife. Bring her snacks and water when she's nursing. Look for the signs of infection that she may miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment